I've finally gotten around to painting my own Magnus, and I have a few thoughts on the mini I felt like sharing even though it's incredibly late to be contributing to any talk about it.

Spoiler: Rambling discussion
Show
First off, the model is much smaller than I expected from what everyone had been saying about it. Without his wings Magnus is actually not all that big as large models go, he's basically the size of a Dreadknight when you get down to it. Still big, but not Imperial Knight huge like a lot of people had been saying.

The pose of the mini is... ok. It's either a 'come at me bro' pose, a 'face your doom' pose, or a 'we do not need to be enemies, take my hand and we can rule the galaxy' pose. All ok, but we've seen them on plenty of minis by now. It does suit him though, it's quite a calm pose, one foot perched atop a slain dreadnought of the Space Wolves, a quiet moment of grim vengeance for what happened to Prospero long ago.

His actual details are very impressive, I like the three separate head options he has, I favor the missing eye look over the cyclops look, but it is a nice tribute to his old Epic model, the warplate he wears is clearly based off his HH art, nipple horns and all, as is his Blancheian hair. The symbols on his wings are nicely understated compared to the giant symbols on the back of Bloodthirster wings, much subtler by comparison. The eyes all over his armour is also quite nice, but I can't help but feel it's a touch mean spirited.

I do get the impression he's supposed to vaguely resemble a mashup of central American, Egyptian and Babylonian pop culture aesthetics. Which suits him perfectly well, his original Epic model was basically a Babylonian cyclops with wings, Tzeentch daemons tie well into the pop culture images of central American gods, specifically Quetzalcoatl, and the 1k Sons are of course Space Egyptians.

He is far too busy though, his armour is too crowded when you get down to it. All it needs is for a bit of space to be cleared, say where the angel skeletons on his thighs are and the lower detailing on his chestplate. His wings also don't need their armour at all, nor does his arm. There's plenty going on everywhere else, and why on earth would you want to draw the eye to his wings with armour when his head is in the same general area?

The Space Wolf 'nought arm is actually a touch annoying, it limits the palette options for his base unless you find something else for him to stand on or scrape off all the details from the wreck. Especially as the Woofs only have one colour scheme. Sure it's fluffy, but what if you want Magnus to be fighting Tau or Orks? I have a similar problem with the Eldar characters, especially as DEldar are posed on Imperial ruins and Harleqins/CEldar on Eldar ruins, but they're supposed to be allied to each other a lot. Magnus and the 1K Sons avoid that at least, since Magnus is the only one with a set base ornament.

Lastly, what is up with his right arm? He's missing a finger and the arm itself is twisted and huge with cables under the skin. It's like the Daemon Prince in power armour arm, and I can only assume it's a reference to that particular limb, since there's no reason for Magnus to have it as well. The eye in the palm is well done though, I'll give it that.

Spoiler: Terrible quality image of my Magnus
Show