1. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Unity and Determination: Castilonium’s guide to the Path of War Zealot

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanPDX View Post
    I could use some advice selecting maneuvers. I'm building a 5th level half-orc Zealot, going evil, all offense, probably with a longspear / shield and Unorthodox Method traits so I can move my disciplines around. Probably Protection mission (5' reach) and Impulsive Reactions so I can rush right into the thick of things and then make plenty of attacks of opportunity while foes move in and out of range.

If I'm understanding my action economy correctly, every round I could use a boost (swift), strike (standard), then aid another (move) to refresh the first two and repeat the cycle next round, correct? If so, what's the best combination at this level? Chains of Doubt seems really good, but I don't know what boost would go best with it. For my stance I am leaning toward Elemental Flux Stance (fire) for passive healing (the party is very light on healing) and extra damage.

I expect to be fighting orcs, goblins, and other armed humanoids, if that makes a difference. Any advice? Thanks!
    Just to clear up the maneuver refreshing: You can't refresh maneuvers that you've used in the same round. So your actions will be aid another (move) to refresh your maneuvers you used in the previous round, boost (swift), strike (standard) in that order. You can use a counter (immediate) if you don't plan on using a boost when your turn comes up. If you didn't use a counter, then always use a boost to make sure you don't waste your swift action.

For boosts, Eldritch Fang (Elemental Flux 2) is good as it lets you hit incorporeal enemies and makes your attacks cause the staggered condition, a good backup if you fail to nauseate with Chains of Doubt. Hastened Leap (Piercing Thunder 2) is good for mobility since you probably have a poor acrobatics check and big ACP. Fear Eating Technique (Black Seraph 2) will help your self-healing and keep you up longer in a fight, but you need to have a way to reliably inflict fear conditions like Cornugon Smash or Enforcer. The absolute best boost for your level is Defending the Pride (Golden Lion 2), especially if you have the Community-Minded trait. Once you reach level 6, if you have access to Shattered Mirror, take a look at Reflected Blade Style. It's kind of insane.

For counters, you can't ask for better than Fear the Reaper (Eternal Guardian 2). Half-orcs have +2 racial intimidate, too.

Chains of Doubt is one of the best 3rd level strikes for most Zealots, yes. Once you reach level 7, grab either Bilious Strike (Black Seraph 4) or Energy Hammer (Elemental Flux 4) in earth active element. They're both ludicrously powerful and disable enemies for ages.

Elemental Flux Stance is far and away the best 3rd level stance in the game. Earth and air active elements are better than fire while you're in combat, though. Switch to fire for healing outside of combat, then go back to earth or air. Once you reach level 9, get Stance of the Thunderbrand (Piercing Thunder 5) and never look back.

Hope that helps, have fun