Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
28:
I post this again.
This had the effect of a particularly potent Smite Evil on me, because it darn near killed me laughing. Take my applause with dignity.

29. The Legend. We skipped a number, folks.

You weren't entirely sure who this old guy was when he first joined you. He seemed competent enough and friendly enough, so you saw no problem with him traveling alongside you. It wasn't until you saw him handle steel in a fight that you started to think about who he might be.

That's impossible, you though. Nobody has seen him in years! Plenty of stories abounded about what happened after his last great fight, decades ago. His enemies fell on him in hordes, and he carved through them by the thousands before he breathed his last. He exploded in a burst of white light and ascended physically to the heavens, flowers blooming on the battlefield in his wake. He was betrayed by his own allies, and fled into a life of seclusion. Nobody knows what really happened.

But there is no mistaking it. It's him. He's real, and he's here, with you. He seems surprisingly down to earth about the whole matter. Although there are some things he won't discuss, he doesn't seem consumed with angst or regret, nor overflowing with confidence and boisterousness. He's just... A person. A real person. Kind, and open, and helpful, if showing his age a bit.

The one thing that strikes you is how he talks about his past. "That person," he says, "Isn't who I am anymore. He was the legend. But he belongs in the past. Me? I'm just another ordinary do-gooder. And I want to meet today's legends." And they call him Thunder God Cid.