Quote Originally Posted by jqavins View Post
My current favorite is a method that one of my DMs came up with. You take a sheet of college ruled paper (this was a long time ago) and roll straight 3d6 for a mid-power group or top-3-of-4 for a high power group, one attribute score on each line. (Now I use a computer to do the rolling; a spreadsheet or quicky BASIC program or some such.) Then you pick six attribute scores in a row from anywhere on the page. It lets you place a good roll in whatever attribute you want, but then you're stuck with those around it for the others. Want to play a fighter? There's probably a 17 or 18 somewhere on the page that you can use for strength, but you might be stuck with an 8 constitution. Or, you can settle for the 16 strength that's somewhere else on the page and goes along with a 14 constitution. Each page of scores is to be used only once then discarded.
This is crazy interesting, but if im reading this right you could keep going with lines, becasue you will statistically get all 18s eventually if you were out to do that though.