1. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Help me understand this Minor Illusion "Inviisibility" trick!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabeta View Post
    Another point of contention: "things can pass through it"

Therefore, since Light is a physical thing it passes through it. So

A) Creating a functional Mirror is impossible. It cannot reflect light because the light would pass through it.
    B) Your Shadows would fall through any part of the illusion, meaning that not only does the "invisibility" trick only work at specific angles, but you must also have sufficient space to avoid getting caught by shadows.

While not exactly RAW, I'm almost certain that RAI you can't do this trick. The listed examples are all simple, like a stool or muddy footprints. Something that generally has one texture to it and a relatively orderly shape. If Minor Illusion can't recreate atmospheric effects via Fog or Dense Foliage then I'm going to say that attempting to perfectly mirror the wall behind you at 5 different angles while texturing it like a hologram card to achieve multiple illusions from multiple angles is an EXTREME case of Munchkinery and would likely earn you an immediate eviction from my table.
    I'm not sure that light in D&D 5e is the same thing as light in our own universe, and probably doesn't count as a "thing".

The following is an argument that could be based off assuming that light in D&D and light in the real world are the same thing.

Spoiler: Realistic light and illusions
    Show
    If light can't reflect off an illusion, how would you be able to see it?

If an illusion is able to interact with light then illusions would cast shadows and be able to have other objects project shadows onto them, and an illusion could reflect light, making it visible.

If an illusion totally didn't interact with light, it would be invisible unless it was a mental projection, because ambient light would pass through it rather than reflecting off of it.

If an illusion doesn't interact with light at all, and is just a mental projection, then you would be able to see it in a completely dark room (and maybe even with your eyes closed), which doesn't seem right, and could also lead to ridiculous munchkinery where people could see illusions regardless of physical barriers (IE using it as a signal in darkness or a fog cloud)

In essence, because there aren't real illusion spells, it is impossible to predict how real world light would interact with them. Using the real-world definition of light as an "object" doesn't necessarily apply to D&D.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBeast View Post
    I think the idea that illusions interact with light is just way too full of implications that cause way too many potential and unpredictable problems.
    It's problematic to either say that it does or say that it doesn't. If you're in the former camp, characters become capable of making illusionary telescopes and doing completely ridiculous things with mere cantrips. If you're in the latter camp, you'd see illusions reduced to a completely meaningless entertainment trick that could never fool anyone due to their simplicity.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-03-31 at 12:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.