1. - Top - End - #198
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: American food to feed to a British friend?

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    The thing is, "Scotch" is Scotch. i.e. from Scotland. The generic term is "whisk(e)y." Insisting that all whisky be labelled Scotch even when it's produced outside Scotland is not only insane, it's also an insult to other international whisk(e)y producers, in Ireland, Japan, Canada, the US, England and so on, who have their own traditions and methods distinct from Scotch, of which in many cases they're equally proud.

The only people calling whisky Scotch when it's not from Scotland are people who don't know any better and people trying to con the consumer.

You might say you neither know nor care about the difference, but I'd counter that having such decisions made by people who don't know or care about the difference is a stupid way to make decisions and a great way to have stupid decisions made.
    Not all whisky. Scotch has other requirements as well, material requirements regarding it's actual content. The rest is just worthless branding. Anything meeting these actually pertinent standards would be labeled scotch under my proposal

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    You might say you neither know nor care about the difference, but I'd counter that having such decisions made by people who don't know or care about the difference is a stupid way to make decisions and a great way to have stupid decisions made.
    Because the difference is immaterial; What possible difference could it make where something was produced? The real world isn't some fantasy game with magical locations and planar manifest zones.

But if we label as having that difference people are going to think that difference is important, that it makes some difference. It's the same reason why I'm also against labeling GMO foods.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-04-07 at 01:01 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)