View Single Post

Thread: Cogent Roleplay

1. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Cogent Roleplay

I love this system! I agree with everything you said. However, on the downside, it seems they have stopped development of it for the time being. The good news is that it's playable as is, but there are still a few things that could be clarified better, and I would love it if I could help them edit the rulebook. There are some things that could be polished up a bit.

I would really like it if either they or we could get started on some monster manuals and other supplemental material to help a GM. So far, I have GM'd a bit in this system but it was a challenge since I had to come up with stats for typical monsters on the fly, and not being too experienced with how the system is meant to be played, picking balanced stats was difficult.

Have you tried the system in gameplay? Was there anything you didn't quite understand? I have a question or two myself. I'll just ask 1 here for now:

My understanding concerning ranged combat is that if an archer shoots at a swordsman from range, the archer rolls a regular combat roll using proficiencies and weapon modifiers. The swordsman would roll a combat roll using the rules for a defensive roll. Since they cannot realistically use their sword to any advantage at range, their sword proficiency and weapon modifier wouldn't apply, but the +2d from defense would make up for that a little. Okay, so far everything makes sense, and the outcome is that at range, an archer has the advantage in terms of # of dice, which makes sense. However, my problem starts when you complicate the issue by adding in another character. What if the swordsman is fighting another swordsman, and getting shot at by an archer? The swordsmen both roll using all proficiencies and weapon modifiers for their swords, and usually in the case of fighting multiple foes at once you use a single roll to test against theirs. But, in this case, the swordsman still shouldn't get the proficiency or weapon modifier from his sword when compared against the archer, but he needs it to compare with the other swordsman. Should he roll once against the other swordsman, and again against the archer? Also, does this count as flanking, so the archer gets the flanking advantage? None of this is clarified anywhere I can find in the rules. If you have an insight that would really help. Thanks!
    Last edited by Beil; 2017-04-17 at 08:55 AM.