If you're starting at 1st level, the party needs a healer, and you want to fight (in melee), play a crusader. Stance for infinite free healing (2 HP at a time) every time you hit, maneuvers for more healing (and other cool things).

Alternately, DMM:Persist is your friend, as has been said, re: mass lesser vigor. No reason you couldn't combine the two, only losing a single level to crusader, taking the rest in cleric (etc).

Start a party fund, buy Wand of Lesser Vigor, and situational scrolls. This is on the party, not on you.

I recommend everyone having an Amulet of Emergency Healing, because healing, in a 4-person party, 4d4+20 damage as an immediate action is a real, literal lifesaver. Let me know how that works out, as, AFAIK, no-one has ever actually done it.

Resurgence is an awesome spell, use it. Could buy it in wand form, too, I suppose.

See if you can use Spell Points. Not really all that vital, as you can convert spells to cure spells, but it would save on situational scrolls. Good to bring up if the party (foolishly) balks at using party funds to heal them.