View Single Post

Thread: The mercenary (base class)

1. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: The mercenary (base class)

Replying to the massive bomb shells that went off while I was gone
    Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    This is a *MASSIVE* bonus at most levels. At 20, that's +10 to saves. Compare Paladin's Divine Grace, which gives Cha to saves on a melee class. For the Elite Array on a Paladin, this will range from +0....+2 until the Paladin invests in +Charisma gear bumping it up to ~maybe~ a +5. Admittedly, with strong stats, these start to break even, but you should be careful about adding flat values where another class gets only +modifier.
    Thanks for pointing that out, thinking about giving them wisdom bonus...
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    This is too much for one class. Mercenary is way to broad to fit under one class, as they are just ''working for money''.
    I like it, highly diverse class that is focused on what the player chooses
    And it's a bit hard to justify a ''mercenary'' say ''being immune to mind effects'' when even 20th level characters of most classes don't get such an ability.
    Mind blank? Maybe not core, but there are a few PrC that give it, but I do agree I gave it too early (because it replaced something; forgot to move up)
    The contract idea might be way, way too limiting. It would be way to easy for a poor merc to break a contract and get all the bad effects. Worse, if very much limits player use of the class, as most contracts will be for a specific thing and not ''adventure and have fun''. And it's a bit odd for mundane folks to, um, have mercenaries under Epic Magic level magical contracts....

And Furious Charge really sticks out as a sore thumb. You have a class that is five poor versions of other classes...yet everyone gets the charge feat? A feat that none of them would really want or really get much use out of?

This class needs much more focus.
    Well, suggestions for a powerful contract that disables players hired for a gp and makes them complete the deal? Also, I do not see it as 'five poor versions of other classes' care to clarify that?

I actually like the class' design enough to consider modifying it weakly and using in my own games.
    Yay!
    Also it is still being worked on so if thre are things you would like to see please tell me and I will try to work them in
    First, I disagree with you. Second, "most classes don't get X by level 20" is not a particularly good argument for an ability that a notable subset of them do get by level 20.

Everyone who's primarily melee will need to Charge at some points. Though that this benefits particular choices more than others does need to be considered.
    Meh, I think I will keep the focus but feel the charge ability is on the cut list.

Quote Originally Posted by aimlessPolymath View Post
    A Charge ability does make the Archery styles feel a little bit off, though, and it doesn't fit particularly well with several of the other styles (Two Weapons don't want to only make one attack, Archery doesn't want to enter melee, and Swift Strike has better things to do).
    Yes, it seems the charge is not too popular
    Style ideas+thoughts:
    Improved Unarmed Style: Gain Snap Kick and Stunning Fist as bonus feats.
    I would like all the improved to have a special it grants not just feats... although I may have something hehehe
    Improved TH style: Gain Cleave as a bonus feat. As a move action, add +1/4 your level to attack and +1/2 your level to damage until the end of your turn. (this combos well with Cleave!)

Imp. TW style: You gain Improved Two-Weapon Fighting as a bonus feat. Furthermore, as a standard action, you may make an attack with each of up to two weapons you are wielding.
    (They have to take Greater TWF themselves)
    Love the TH style, and for the TWF I believe there is a feat that does that somewhere... now I just need to find it
    Sword and Board should be a legitimate prerequisite for Deflect.

Finally, I strongly feel that instead of automatically dodging attacks of opportunity, Dance of Blades should grant Expeditious Dodge (races of the wild) and Mobility as bonus feats.
    Fighting styles have a few more coming up, with a special deflect for S&B... I am not a big fan of expeditious dodge mainly because with no speed boosts it takes more then a move action for most races to gain the benefits...
    Also I feel that TWstyle should, instead of technically granting a +1/2 level bonus to AC, grant Two-Weapon Defense as a bonus feat, and then increase the bonus granted by the feat by +1/2 level -1.
    Hmm, maybe increase it to 1/2 level since shield bonuses do not stack? otherwse would be +4 instead of +5 as now... but then parry would look better if it gave a slightly bigger bonus...

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    Well, one way to balance a class it to look at other classes...do they get anything similar? Immunity to mind effects is a huge and powerful ability and it's really out of place for a ''mercenary''. Why not just lets them cast wish as a supernatural ability, that would make as much sense....''a mercenary is so,um, focused on thier contract that they can alter reality as per the spell wish as a supernatural power at will''.
    I disagree here, I feel that there is a difference between what I gave and wish
    I'm not sure ''all'' melee people will have to ''charge'' at some points. Like the ''bodyguard mercenary'' will ''charge'' away from the guy he is guarding? Or the ''guard mercenary'' will charge away from the door they are guarding? How often does a ''hit man'' charge? Or the Espionage one?

It makes this class feel like more ''a fighter class '' not a mercenary....
    Yes, the charge is looking at an early retirement.
    Yes, they do.

"Singularity of purpose" is actually perfectly in place for a Mercenary imho.
    Ooh, that sounds better then contract focus, mind if I use the name?
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-04-26 at 07:23 AM.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.