As a foreign speaker I don't really get the Dead Shot pun? To me it is just blatant boasting about the bow's (and archer's) ability to kill. What is so punny about it?

After a quick search about the year 1368 DR mentions the fall of Zhentil Keep which happened in midwinter. Thinking the year starts with the midwinter festival (I don't REALLY know) it still could either be spring or fall. Remember Bassilus and what you can say about Zhentil Keep? I feel it is fall because some maps in the game have their trees in yellow or orange. Also travelling should take a while and other maps more north have green trees (which is possible but unlikely in early spring where melting snow makes roads muddy.

Also I think Xan's class is elf. I don't know how old AD&D is and how much Athans knows of D&D rules but a good writer doesn't think in "classes" anyhow. Otherwise Drizz't wouldn't be a Fighter/Barbarian/Ranger in 3.5. And he isn't the world's best written character anyhow. Honestly the way the book is written it makes me feel that 90% of characters are Fighters or Rogues anyhow. Jaheira is just a Fighter from a weird druidic upbringing.