Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
Can you explain these?
So in order.

The Survival thing comes from playing several survival campgains. Now while I don't mind them, and I've had a few fun ones. The issue comes when you are level one. Make your character sheet get all your equipment and then you enter th4 game and get told you have nothing. Not even clothes. And you now must survive. So unless you are a caster. You are usless. So whenever someone says 'Survival Setting in 3.5' the warning bells begin to ring.

The second one involves mostly during the game aspects and it has reared it's ugly head more then once where a DM would talk about this book they've recently read. Mention some silly puzzle or trap. Then the next session make the party deal with the trap or puzzle. Without any context. It's difficult to understand that the key to the room is that random squiggly line on the wall when you've mentioned there's other lines on the wall. And described how all of them mean something diffrent. None relating to the problem at hand, but instead the prophecy that the protagonist in that book you read heard.

Now I care little if you take ideas. Everyone does it. It's part of being a DM. Getting inspiration. But when you use stuff word for word in the wrong setting. It makes life difficult for anyone who doesn't know the setting. It's even worst the DM says there setting is based on a book. And then it is the book.

Challenge Ratings are an important aspect of DND. Many people know what they are. Some don't. These people shouldn't be DMs as they see a cool Monster have the party fight it. And the party gets wrecked. Because who knew that an Acid spitting winged Monster is dangerous to level 3s? Basically it's something that takes place during the game that lets you know that you've walked into a bad time. It generally becomes obvious in the first session.

And finally. Punishing players for RP. This is a recent one for me. Never heard of it tell my last DM and apperently it got worst according to a friend who decides to play in a one shot with said DM. Now. Imagine your role-playing, everyone is role-playing. Everyone is having fun. Then you hear the DM roll dice you stop and look to them and they say "As no one was paying attention to there surroundings 'x' is attacked taking 48 damage and being knocked out"

Seems normal enough right. Random encounter. No problems. But a trend forms. If the party role plays for to long. The DM gets bored and something horrible happens. We've lost all our money due to pick pocketed while we where shopping and rping. Had a shop keeper attack us for 'wasting his time' by asking about his skills. Set upon by an orc raiding party as we sat in a cave with no fire as we had no wood and just talking in character. The list goes on.

Overall. While it's hard to notice at first. You soon pick up on it. And it makes already non roleplayers struggle even more to move outside there comfort zone. Leading just me and one guy to rp between ourselves all the time. But this was apperently disrupting the session. We then later found out that only our bank accounts had problems causing us to lose half our wealth. Good times.