View Single Post

Thread: Translating the Igbo Pantheon to DnD

1. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Translating the Igbo Pantheon to DnD

You know, this actually makes a lot more sense, metaphysically speaking, than the pseudo-Greco-Roman pantheons DnD usually emulates.

It gives a divine context as to what a "level" and "XP" actually are. You can say that the heroes accumulate a kind of divine favour (i.e. "experience points") the are eventually granted new abilities (i.e. "levels"). As the heroes grow stronger than any other mortal being and can eventually fight the gods themselves, well, that's just them coming into their godhood.

To represent that, I would have the gods act somewhat like warlock patrons for levels 1-10. They give quests to the heroes and reward them as they fulfill them. From there on in the heroes have to take an active role in their budding godhood. Have them start to hear prayers going unanswered by the god they serve. The quests start to be more about them picking up the slack their god has left, with them eventually proving themselves to be better at the job than the god they were originally serving.
    Last edited by TripleD; 2017-05-06 at 11:15 PM.