Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
congratulations on going born of three thunders. I wish the two of you many happy sessions together.

that said. this is dependent on whether you already have at least one metamagic feat. energy sub x requires at least one.

if your dm's very permissive and lets you summon a whole bunch of invisible monsters in one turn, that's the clear winner. if not, my personal go-to for a no-prereq metamagic feat for the purposes of wetting my feet for the good stuff later is lords of madness's ocular spell, which lets you store spells in your eyes and later fire them out as frickin' laser beams.
I'd forgotten about Ocular spell, tbh. I may have to give that one a look at some point. As for prior metamagic, Wu Jen get's a MM bonus feat early on (1st level, iirc) So I've already got my foot in the door with Still Spell (We're still low level, so a lot of special goodies to lower my ACF aren't feasible yet.) My one "complaint" with Energy Substitution is that Born of the Three Thunders requires ES: (electricity) Which is slightly less useful than Acid at the moment (since I can easily cast spells with the other energy types.) But it's at least the #2 spot when compared to Cold and Fire.

As it stands, I'm definitely trying to pick up some lesser metamagic rods of ES so that I can mass produce a good number of alternate energy type fire shuriken in the character's downtime. (That spell is disgustingly fun for a gish build)