Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
I was annoyed at the self-replicating mines, because I could have sworn that replicators couldn't replicate anti-matter and I assume the warheads on those mines are matter/antimatter.
I don't think any Trek show has ever said ''we can't replicate anti matter'' . It would seem that if you can replicate matter, you could also replicate anti matter.

Though it is possible the mines had some other from of explosive too.

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
Except for that one time the Federation managed to mine the entrance to the wormhole with cloaked, self-replicating mines. Then when that failed, there was a literal deus ex machina.

This is a very good example of a literal deus ex machina. And it is very artificial and forced.

You get the arc episodes at the end of the season and that start of the next...the fall of DS9 to the Dominion and the (2nd) occupation. However, you have the problem that it is a Star Trek show. So you have at least half, maybe more of the creators of the show screaming that they can't do there own ''very special episode'' as ''the dumb arc'' has ''messed everything up.'' The ''message zealots'' want to use the show to ''rip a story from the headlines'', and ''give it a unique spin'' and then ''put forth their own awesome one sided solution'' . But, again, this is at least half the Star Trek creators...and fans, for that matter. And you can't have ''very special message shows'' in the middle of a war arc(as they scream that Roddenberry would never have done a war arc too). So the ''war hawk'' creators got only a couple shows to do their ''war arc'', and then it was demanded that they hit the reset button and go back to normal ''very special message shows''. And as you see just about the whole middle and end of season 6 is just ''normal stories'', with a ''what war? Oh, um, yes it is still on going, um way over there...now forget about the war and watch our very special message show''.

So you get the War Arc for a couple shows at the start of the season, but they have the hard limit of ''at the end of Sacrifice of Angels, you must hit the reset button and drop the war arc so we can do our very special message shows.'' But the War Hawks had written themselves into a corner....how could they do all that in just the last act of one episode.

And they had only one choice: deus ex machina.

1.First is was so dumb for the Wormhole Aliens to just ''suddenly'' protect Bajor. Oh, sure they, um, watched over it during the Cardassian Occupation and did not lift a finger against the Dominion for several seasons...but, now, suddenly, for no reason they act. Sure....

2.So....at the time the dominion and Bajor have a treaty. They are friends. Yet Sisko lies and is like ''they will destroy Bajor!'' And gets the wormhole aliens to fall for this lie. As if the fleet of Dominion ships would zip through the wormhole and be like ''destroy Bajor!''. Sure, why would they join the battle and wipe out the Alpha Quadrant allegiance...

3.So um Rom ''turns off DS9's phasers'' so they can't take out the mines....and um, somehow turns off all the stations weapons too....wow, amazing work.

4.The scene before the Defiant gets to the station we see plenty of Dominion ships around the station, but when the Defiant zips over....there is not a single Dominion warship anywhere? Oh, guess they were all sent into battle? That is how you do ''a battle'' right? You never keep any ships protecting your base. And yet...low and behold...when the Dominion evacuates just a couple of minutes later...there are plenty of ships around for them to use.

They just needed to end the occupation quick....the goofy Worf wedding was next week...lol