Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post

I think the first may be more likely. After all the only real reason to legally adopt someone is to acknowledge them as heir to your estate. To adopt them without giving them a claim would seem to defeat the object rather.

That's true, I guess. Although it seems that Azure City has a broadly hereditary succession, it might be that it has an element of tanistry about it: that the ruler selects their heir from among a pool of available candidates within the royal family.

The "no female rulers" part might actually be it, though. That would explain why it's Shinjo's nephew who's expected to be his heir, rather than his sister.
I could certainly see the point of an adoption even though it does not grant all rights expected of a natural born child. The emotional aspect of Shojo saying "I consider myself your father" might be large enough.

The reason why I don't think there is a rule against female monarchs is that it seems to prejudiced for the Giant's tastes. I seem to recall a post by him where he argues against including all real world medieval prejudices into a fantasy world just for the sake of realism. And the Giant also seem concerned about inclusivity in general, whether it's race, sexuality or gender.

I don't think we will ever get a straight answer to this so here goes my guess/headcanon: The Lord of Azure City has the right to appoint any adult as their successor, but the choice must be approved by the Council of Nobles. After said approval the heir is officially inducted and succeeds automatically when the previous monarch dies. The heir is generally expected to, but does not have to be, a child or close relative of the monarch.

The nobles would not be expected to accept Miko as heir, and she also is not interested in the position herself, so Hinjo continues to be the presumptive heir.

That's just my idea, anyone who prefers a different explanation can go with another.