I really enjoyed this. It was a little less funny than the main story (though it still had its share of laughs and silly characters), but I think that's fine, given that O-Chul himself was never the funniest character, and it is very much his tale. I guess what I didn't expect going in, but I realized about halfway through, is that this was at least partially designed to reconcile the great problem of the Sapphire Guard: How can they have been the shining, virtuous heroes they mostly were in the story proper and also the bloodthirsty thugs they were in Redcloak's origin? The answer, of course we now know, is O-Chul himself. It seems likely that his promotion to Sapphire Guard, along with Hinjo's joining of the ranks, allowed commoners to join as well as brought some decency and ethics to the organization.

While O-Chul does come across as uncommonly virtuous, I don't really see this as a problem. While everyone has flaws (and I'm sure O-Chul would gladly point out some of his own), the idea that a person being truly decent is unrealistic strikes me as little more than edgy cynicism. The fact is, for all his goodness, O-Chul makes decisions that are controversial, even among his friends, and while he does inspire some people to be better, it's hardly the case that his goodness magically fixes everything. Trying to do the right thing and save everyone is a hard, hard road, and there's usually a price to pay, whether it's the respect of your friends, the lives of innocents, or a big old nasty scar across your face.

And while we are forbidden from political talk here, I do get the impression the story, particularly O-Chul's speech at the end, was given to airing some of Mr. Burlew's grievances about the world we now live in, perhaps giving some sense of comfort or inspiration to others who feel similarly. Can't say more on that front.

Overall, I found this to be a fine addition to the Stickverse, and I'll probably read it again soon.