Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
Am I the only one who thought that the ettin was foreshadowing (for lack of a better term) the main conflict of the comic? I thought both Gin-Jun and the goblin leadership were represented by the ettin in that both factions viewed themselves as reasonable and blameless even though they were clearly responsible for instigating violence, as well as being naturally violently themselves.
You're not the only one who's noted similarities between the ettin and Gin-Jun:

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
I'm sorry, but that's straight up wrong. The ettin was exactly in keeping with one of the major themes of the comic - the sophistry people will engage in so as to justify themselves when performing actions they know can only lead to a bad end. It's not just a zealot's thing. It's a thing that will come out at any time, often at the worst possible time, and it's not something that can be reasoned with directly. You have to reason around it by appealing to those who are witnesses, if at all possible. The ettin is absolutely engaged in the same game of justifying bad behavior as the Sapphire Guard leadership and everyone else.
Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
There have always been people ready to profit from someone else's violent illegal actions while providing support.

Heck, it applies to the later "I'm summoning an angel, asking him to destroy the gates, and count on him killing the enemy for me when the goblins defend the gate while claiming I did nothing wrong", so it is actually a nice foreshadowing of the final conflict.