1. - Top - End - #1232
    Banned

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 14: Second Cour

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    If you think you can't create tension unless characters are at a risk of death, then indeed LH is a show with no tension.

I'd say it is to its benefit that it manages to create meaningful struggles without resorting to "you die in game, you die in real life" cliches.

It is a slow paced show, but that's not a bad thing. If you need constant dramatic twists in your series you'll get bored, but there's nothing wrong with a slow buildup either. Just a matter of preference.

Akatsuki and Naotsugu's interactions are cliche and repetetive, I'll give you that. Just a small element of the series though, doesn't ruin the rest - unless you already hate the rest, which seems to be the case for this thread's tastes in general.

Just one more reason why I post here so rarely nowadays.
    You might be able to create tension without risk of death, but LH sure as heck doesn't do it in my opinion. I've only seen the first season, but what "meaningful struggles" do the characters endure?

Player killing in a game with no death penalty? Meh.

Setting up a form of government? Could have been interesting, but in the end the main character just brute forces cooperation with his overwhelming wealth that he only has because literally every single person in the universe is too stupid to try actually cooking with the cooking class (and he's not even the one who figures it out).

Deciding whether or not to help the people getting mass murdered by goblins despite there being virtually no risk to themselves? Honestly, this entire subplot just makes all of the main cast look like selfish jerks. Not to mention that the protagonist doesn't do anything for the entire plot.

Finally, we have the season finally. In this episode, Shiro foils his opponent's genius plan to ruin their commercial reputation by claiming to bring too much food for them to safely store and having it be ruined. How does he do this? What genius plan does Shiro employ to save the day?? He reveals the fact that they actually have plenty of warehouses and his opponent's plan was mindbogglingly stupid in the first place! All praise his tactical acumen!

I like a story about a "genius" tactician as much as anyone...but Shiro is only "genius" in the sense that everyone else is a complete idiot.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-05-28 at 05:30 PM.