I guess most of you guys probably really hated .hack//SIGN too.

Characters that have died a lot in Log Horizon have more of a problem than having lost their memories, they're a little on the manic/insane side too. And not just because they lost their memories, but because they can't die and they want to. I wouldn't want to die in the game, even if you don't really die, it's still been implied to not be especially pleasant, and I wouldn't want to take the risk of losing memories. I have black outs in my memory in real life and it's unsettling and frustrating.

I too don't really see why death not being like real life death is a problem. Log Horizon always felt like an exercise in learning to live a decent quality of life in a world where doing so may be difficult. A lot of the people who became trapped also became layabouts, too depressed and aimless to do anything in a world where at first: food doesn't taste like anything, and you can't really innovate or create nice things. I found it interesting, as people found ways to actually live a life, and create a society in a new kind of world.