I'm typing this from my phone, so pardon any lack of proper formatting or spelling/grammar mistakes.

Do you guys ever feel magic in D20 systems is just too rigid? Like it's not being g used how it actually would be in a world with magic? I feel that this is because combat is the primary focus if the system, but it makes it feel like magic users aren't very magical outside of course.bat.

Sure, there are several utility spells, but they're all limited use. I mean, a Pathfinder Wizard on a day to day basis, never going to feel as magical as a Wizard from, say, Harry Potter.

You're never going to see a collection of household spells published in a book, nor see people really learning or preparing them because there are only so many spells you can have, especially for spontaneous casters.

Even discounting the movies, which makes magic more fantastical, but also more inane in some ways, magic in the HP books is used for so many simple things that would function like higher level cantrips. Or like canrtips actually scaled with caster level.

Like, imagine if Prestidigitation let you conjure larger and larger objects that remain useable, but relatively fragile. For example, just snapping your fingers and making a chair to sit in, which would require a 4th level spell. Or a tea set, which requires a 5th level spell.

You'll practically never see casters using magic to make their lives easier, not really. Because it eats up combat spells. It makes for very mundane casters when you stop and think about it.

I know their are utilitarian spells out there, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Floating Disk, Unseen Servant etc. but these all cut into your combat spells. There are just some utilitarian aspects of magic that one would think are so basic they don't even need spells to do; like if every caster had Prestidigitation as a spell-like ability for taking 1 level as a caster, and it grew stronger as your level improved.

Not sure if I'm explaining this right. I *am* typing this at nearly 3 in the morning from my phone after all :P