His people were in danger! Not if he had anything to say about it.

He released Snap, and shot out after the teleported jacket, while also extending his finger towards the Ki Spark that was sent flying. A small target, but Apfel's accuracy was surpassed by few, indeed. King's Lance! He fired a razor-narrow beam of energy at the Ki Spark, intent on deflecting it harmlessly away from danger. However there was the bombs, which detonated in front of him. Though the spatial rending wracked his body with agony, he had done it, he saved both of them. At least for the time being. Dark blue blood ran out from his mouth, body quivering in pain as he lay on his knees, one bloody arm supporting his weight.

If Snap's power had increased at all during this battle, he was stronger than Apfel at this point.

But he wasn't finished. There was still a chance. An opening. It will present itself. While it wasn't what he was looking for, the corner of his eye saw a very familiar-looking beam shot from an invisible source.

There.

King's Lance. He muttered weakly as he raised a hand and fired it at the invisible source of the ray. Though he wasn't as strong as he could be, it should still be far more than enough.

You...are right. Apfel said weakly to Snap, managing a bloody smile. Compassion will kill me. If that...that is the way it must be, so be it. I still win, because I die for what I believe in.

And I will kill you, because you are in the way of freeing my people.
He will free them. There is no-one else. Nothing else. If Hailing is not stopped, his descendants will continue for another five centuries, only ending after an evil even more terrible than Hailing has gained power. In the way that consciousness is a defiance to the clockwork of the universe, he's all they've got.

No, that's not true. 23. Starlight and the others. They can do it. They might not need him.

But these people. These innocent clerks whose only crime was to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, Apfel is all they have, left.