Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_in_the_Mist View Post
Well... it's not as if "feminine monogender race for whom sex and reproduction are independent" is that unheard of a concept in fantasy. I can easily name two races who fit that bill - the Blind Warrior-Women of Altaria, from RIFTS, and the Asari of Mass Effect, know there was a third such race from some sci-fi game in the 90s - Star Commander, I think it was called, and I'm sure there's others.

Plus... even if the backdrop is stars & planets rather than dungeons & ruins, this is still D&D. Have you seen some of the stuff that passes for biology in this game? Hard science isn't exactly the building block of the game here.

But... I am open to discussing fixing them. My basic intention with the race is to throw together the Ctarl-Ctarl of Outlaw Star, the Khaijit of Elder Scrolls (where, depending on moon-phase, kittens produced by any female khaijit can grow up to be house-cats, dire tigers, or cat-people), and the Altarian Warrior-Women and see if I can come up with something suitably pulpy/80s.

Re:Millstone85
Yeah, even the 2e version was better, in my opinion - Warning! Barbie Doll style nudity!
http://dedpihto.narod.ru/games/Monsters1/tabaxi.gif
For your mono-sex cat-people issue, look at Niven's Kzin, from Ringworld and the Known Space setting. Only the males ever travel off of their homeworld and perform all social and civil functions. Females of the species are physically much smaller, have been bred to have very low intelligence and are basically only used for mating, and are kept safe and isolated on their homeworld. Your race could just be opposite, females of the species are bigger and more intelligent and perform all interactions and functions with other races.