Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
So this is a horrible way of DMing. If you want just your ideas in something, write a book. Don't play a game where four other people exist to bring ideas to the table.
No, it's an excellent way of GMing, and one which I prefer to play under as well run. If a GM has gone to all the trouble to craft a vision of a world, some ignorant twerp shouldn't be allowed to throw any arbitrary thing just because they feel like it. A setting's unique feel comes from not just the things that are in it but the things that are not in it. If I wanted to make Middle Earth with a rich and detailed background and world for the players to enjoy and explore, I wouldn't want some idiot throwing in robots and DBZ-style fighting morons because they thought it sounded fun. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of settings you like that you wouldn't like mucked up by stupid additions.

It is also a matter of respect. If the GM puts effort into creating a world I'm not going to accept other people essentially saying "screw you, I can do this better" and shoving their ideas in. It may be the case that they can do it better, but then people can drop out and do their own thing. If everyone has an equal say you need to have some way of coordinating everything and avoiding contradictions. The godawful mess might be fun at one point but it's the sort thing I grew out of, just like mindless murder-hoboing.

Creating a world is a far cry from writing a story, and you should know that by now.

Lastly, this isn't an entirely binary situation. Giving players some control over minor aspects of the world is one thing. Letting them make a family and a background or add minor village somewhere isn't the problem. It's when players add elves in a setting specifically designed to not have elves.