Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
If you ask me, you should maybe leave the tactical combat part (the niche that's taken by vigilante) and just work the strategic/investigation city map, make it closer to black closet and daily cthonicle than x-com. But you know my preference from the beginning
I have to say I'm sorely tempted. If I just focus on the strategic map I could conceivably get all the art done myself. I've actually hacked the detective work into a more manageable state and updated the map a little now, so that side of things feels more viable.

I have enough assets now for maybe 3 or 4 proper small-scale maps, with or without procedural generation- a bank/museum/courthouse, an industrial warehouse, a small bar, and bits and pieces of corporate office. The problem is that I need to have a map-type for every building-type on the strategic level (or at least the kinds that get targeted for crimes), which would result in some awkward shoehorning.

Might be sunk-cost talking, but I rather enjoyed the tactical micro elements. Maybe... if I made the environments really small? Like 32 x 32, as in some of the original X-Com maps? Wee little bite-size things?