Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
Interactive fiction is a good place to start; even the most DIY attempt at this isn't going to be very far off in implementation from a browser. I'd write it to work with XML for schema validation purposes, but that's my bias showing. On the writing end, it means formatting each node in the story with tags (much like a forum post); on the coding end, it means parsing those nodes and displaying the necessary links and so forth. I use something similar as a project in my coding classes mostly because it has built in benchmarks. (once it displays text and you can click around from node to node, can you display graphics. Once it displays graphics, can it add variables as needed to track data as the user enters it. On it goes.) I can't predict a priori how all of those bits can translate into an app, but it's a much more modular task than a full game, at least.
If you're confident with your writing, check choice of games. They're a company that publish CYOA games in steam, android, and ios, and they provide their engine for free for non comercial purpose, and offer to publish your game made by their engine if you want.

They have some really good and popular games.