View Single Post

Thread: Is OOTS even trying anymore?

1. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Is OOTS even trying anymore?

So what if Andi is the engineer and Bandana is the captain?
    Ships having captains is a pragmatic issue. You need someone to take the role of central processing, taking in inputs and directing the crew as needed. A ship operates by coordination, and someone has to do the coordinating. Poorly executed coordination is almost always superior to no coordination, and so mid conflict you shut up and do as you're told. Arguing and putzing around because you think you know better will almost certainly make things worse (which it did).

If you have an issue with how well the captain is doing their job, you deal with that after the conflict. If poor captaining is likely to get you killed mid conflict, rebellion mid conflict will almost certainly increase those odds.

The corollary of this, then, is that assaulting the captain mid conflict is worse than mere assault, since it also jeopardizes the ability of the ship to weather that conflict.

That's why Bandana's captaincy is often mentioned. It's important context here.

EDIT:

I'm saying that if you were to get in the face of a random person during a crisis and screamed at them you would find yourself getting struck quite often.
    I'm saying if you annoy the person in charge instead of doing your job mid crisis, you'll find they get in your face quite often.

And really, you'd deserve it.
    Last edited by crayzz; 2017-06-17 at 07:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crayzz
    That a given person is known for his sex appeal does not mean that he is only known for his sex appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jere7my
    For instance, I am also known for my humility.