Quote Originally Posted by Fishybugs View Post
Hmm. Strangely, with 35+ years of tabletop and video gaming, I haven't played a single Final Fantasy game. Are they still worth getting into? If so, where do you recommend I start?
Well I still think they're good. Of those in the sale:

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - not played
Final Fantasy III - I only did the first hour or so because I had to borrow my sister's DS to play it. What I saw looked good.
Final Fantasy IV - not played
Final Fantasy V - not played
Final Fantasy VI - not played
Final Fantasy VII - probably the best-rated installment, and deservedly so, but you might find its flaws more difficult to bear now than they were when it first came out. A must-play just so that you can get the references that people make to it. START HERE?!?
Final Fantasy VIII - underrated, in my opinion. Quirky but good.
Final Fantasy IX - not played. I've heard a lot of praise for it though. Probably has the best cover art in the series.
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD - two of my favourite games of all time (say what you like about X-2, I still love it). The PC remaster is a little buggy, but that can be worked around through judicious use of the Esc key, on my machine at least.
Final Fantasy XI Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition - not played
Final Fantasy XIII - not the strongest episode, in my opinion. Probably skip this one.
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - I found it difficult to get into and less fun than 13, which is definitely not a good thing.
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - not played
Final Fantasy XIV Online - not played

So I'd say start with 7, or maybe 3 or 10, if you think one of those would appeal more (like, based on the trailers and art and stuff). Others I've played that are probably not on PC but might interest you anyway:

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - if you've got a GBA, I strongly recommend this one. A very good game.
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - also good. I preferred Advance, but this is also worth a punt.
Final Fantasy - really good, but obviously showing its age now. Still worth a go.
Final Fantasy II - like 1, but better in every way.
Final Fantasy XII - I sunk a lot of time into this one, and... I can barely remember a thing about it. The gambit system could have been brilliant, but the rest of the game didn't stand up. Deeply flawed, skip it.
Final Fantasy XV - it's... different. Very different. Honestly I don't think it's very good either, but there might be potential to improve it via DLC.