I'm asking if anybody has had the experience like the below or know folk who have.

I wake up at night (or think I wake up), and the room looks normal except I see a thing in some corner of the room or near the wall or something like that. I have terrible vision without my glasses on, but the thing is in perfect acuity. It also doesn't seem to really fit in with the rest of the room, like it's in different colors, like a cartoon superimposed in a realistic setting, or kinda non-euclidean. Usually I look at it for a few moments, not really comprehending what I am seeing or realizing that it is strange, then I notice it is moving and get a feeling of terror. Then I generally either close my eyes or jolt completely awake, and the thing is gone. Tends to be hard to get back to sleep after the adrenaline rush with the jolting awake in terror.
A few times I realize it is strange before the terror-jolt at it moving, and I look away or close my eyes. Sometimes if I look back it is still there, usually not. In those cases, I generally say a prayer and go back to sleep.

Usually the thing looks demon-like (think a small imp or gargoyle), but one time a couple weeks ago it just looked like a small lady on a spinning wheel or something like that. At least one time when I realized it was strange before the terror-jolt occurred, it just looked like a weird box or lamppost (where I knew nothing was on the wall) though I had the idea it would unfurl to look like a creature if I kept looking.

Probably happens a handful to a dozen or so times a year, generally in clumps (like every night for a few days, or a few times in a fortnight, then not again for months.) Sometimes happens just once then not again for a long time.

I'm hoping for some folk here to say they've heard of 'waking dreams', since my other alternative is like a demon or some such.* The worst part (beyond the terror of the moment) is that once it happens one night, I sometimes have trouble getting to sleep the next night out of fear it'll happen again.

*per forum rules, not intending to get into real world religion via potential supernatural aspect. I have talked to my priest should it be real, and I realize the existence of 'waking nightmares' does not preclude that this could be real. My main desire with this thread is to have some confirmation about potential non-realness so I can convince myself to go to sleep when I feel creeped out.

I admit I don't like the idea of hallucinating, but in this case it is preferable.
And sorry if writing this creeps anyone out.