Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
A related one is when people insist that "fantasy" can refer only to a work of fiction that fits an extremely narrow set of criteria, typically modeled after the speaker's favorite franchise. For example, if someone's favorite author is C.S. Lewis, they might insist that any work of fiction which is neither written by Lewis nor an extremely derivative clone of Narnia is "not really fantasy." Lewis can be swapped out for whoever the speaker's favorite author happens to be

A slight variation is when someone asserts that "standard fantasy" is whatever their favorite author wrote, while "really weird, obscure" fantasy is everything else.
I have never seen anyone do that. I'll buy categorizing "standard fantasy" as works in the same milleau as Tolken or Lewis with a generally medieval society and technology, magic, dragons, and sword-fights. "Urban Fantasy" I would define as "magic and magical creatures in the modern world, masquerade optional." I'm not sure what I am missing, so please elucidate further.