The hobgoblin, focused on his impending victory over a dead woman, ignores Mortimer again to his own demise, as a second scythe stroke cuts him down. For a few breaths, all is quiet in the Riverwood Shrine, even though you can still hear the wolves and screams outside. Eyena's approach confirms that Semfet is also down for the count, as she carries the hobgoblin's bow. Upon closer inspection, however, the exquisite woodwork along the handles and the graceful wingtips at the ends do not speak to hobgoblin craftsmanship. Aubrin only confirms it. "That bow was property of the Shrine, considered an offering to Old Deadeye himself. The hobgoblins put an end to that when they... gods above." Her voice breaks slightly as the enormity of the massacre and desecration hits her. "I shouldn't take it. My eyesight isn't what it once was. Let Gilraen use it, and honour the god that way."

As the town ranger speaks, Narek begins his search of the dead, looking at the faces of the bodies in the hopes that he does find what he is looking for. Luck or the gods is with him, though, as the figures of his family are not among those slaughtered here. He does, however, find something else of note: a plain burlap sack tucked to the side of one of the pews, a dried brown stain indicating its origins. The Ironfang soldiers who visited this place weren't content with destroying the statues and killing the civilians, it seems. The products of their looting spill out as the bag is opened. The first thing to grab the wizard's attention is yet another magical wand, this one with a decorative elm handle. Also taken from the house of worship are a silver goblet, a handcarved butterfly that looks to have been made from a stand of darkwood from deep in the forest, three full bottles of fine amber liquor, and several jars of glittering gold dust. There are also a few purses, which are heavy with coin or little gemstones for trade. Finally, there appears to be a holy symbol of sorts among the haul, in the form of a a round ivory amulet engraved in the crossed arrows of Erastil.

"I don't know if you were thinking of leaving that but... we should take what we can. The dead do not need these where they're going, and we just might." Nevertheless, Aubrin takes the time to say a small blessing over the bodies left in the wake of the carnage, before looking at the holy icons and the altar. "If anyone knows of any last rites or prayers to close this Shrine, I'm sure that the patrons watching over it would show their gratitude. Meanwhile Narek, I don't see any members of your family here. Actually, there are a few others missing. They might be in Noelan's shack."

Spoiler: OOC
Show
Well done on another fight! This one marks the second major above CR encounter for the day. The loot in the sack can be identified as an elm wand of cause fear (12 charges), a silver cup (15 gp), a hand-sized darkwood carving of a butterfly (20 gp), three bottles of Oldlaw whiskey (20 gp each), 100 gp worth of gold dust, 27 small semiprecious stones (worth 1 gp each), and 76 gp, as well as the amulet with Erastil's bow-and-arrow holy symbol strung on a leather thong (10 gp). Narek is welcome to take 10 on his Spellcraft attempts to identify the wand with detect magic.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Local) DC 10
Show
The ivory amulet with the holy symbol actually belongs to Lirosa, a local hunter and worshiper of Erastil who regularly leaves the amulet in the Shrine in order for it to 'recharge' while she's staying in town.

Spoiler: Perception DC 18
Show
Anyone with keen eyes searching the area around the altar uncovers an overlooked alcove holding 150 gp worth of silver dust, an aegis of recovery, and a wand of cure light wounds (21 charges). These items seem to have been missed by the Ironfang soldiers.