View Single Post

Thread: Armor designs for females?

1. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Armor designs for females?

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
    ITT: People prefer a certain aesthetic, argues that others are stupid for not preferring the same aesthetic.

It'll be really interesting to think which side of the argument people think this applies to.
    Pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy
    Not only that, but you're committing the classic GitP error of assuming we're discussion D&D-like rules.
    You don't say? But wait a minute...
    Quote Originally Posted by ORIGINAL POST
    So I was wondering, over the few editions of D&D, how did armor look for female characters?

I'd imagine it got a bit more modest as the years went by, considering D&D's audience in the early years...
    It's almost like the pros and cons of more or less armor is somehow connected to how it works out in fantasy roleplaying games that are D&D-like. It was probably aliens.

Important point -- if you're going to the expense and trouble of wearing around armor, why wear armor that's useless?
    You're proud of your pecks. Amusingly, an armor that grants +0 armor is still potentially useful in D&D.

But here's some more pictures of Mialee.
    Mialee #1
    Mialee #2
    Mialee #3
    Hennet as a bonus.

EDIT:
    The only preferences that "this character is going to die" would seem to appeal to is known as "snuff". If anyone doesn't know what that refers to, looking it up is probably going to get you NSFW hits.
    It's no more snuff material than swashbuckling pirates. That's factual. You can't say characters like Mialee are snuff bait if Captain Jack Sparrow isn't too.

The problem is, you keep looking at this as an issue of subjective aesthetics, when it's not -- it's an issue of objective functionality. And in the case of settings that claim to be historically accurate, grounded, or inspired, there's the issue of objective accuracy or at least the attempt at it, as well.
    And which fantasy setting is that by the way? Every one I've ever seen doesn't really mesh with that idea. We've got armor spikes (terrible design), helmets with flashy horns and stuff on them, spiked chains, and all kinds of goofy (but awesome) stuff.

Or maybe you mean NOT-D&D, in which case, I guess that also includes things like Star Wars, Star Trek, and lots of other fantasy and/or sci-fi settings where people go about and fight and do crazy stuff without wearing armor.
    Last edited by Ashiel; 2017-07-22 at 02:33 PM.
    You are my God.