Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
That's not comparable. The TWF case is pointing out that some of the simplifications made when calculating DPR for comparison purposes don't necessarily hold well for an actual game, with damage overflow being particularly relevant - and that the new options provided by TWF can be stronger when considering cases not well covered by the model. Looking at damage overflow again, consider a simple case where one character gets one 20 damage attack, and another character gets two 8 damage attacks. DPR is clearly higher for the first character, but the second character has significantly better odds of dropping anyone with 0-8 HP, and low but not nonexistent odds of dropping two targets with 0-8 HP in one round.

The L5R comparison is more like one character getting one 20 damage attack, and one character getting one 16 damage attack. There's no additional options there, just a worse version of the same option.
And I'm pointing out that just saying "It's theory" is an absolutely abysmal way to make any kind of compelling point. The L5R comparison was simply to point out that you can make any absurd case if you say another position is "just theory".

As others have already pointed out, if you are Citan want to provide any evidence that damage overflow is a common enough that you need to significantly lessen the DPR of TWF to make up for it be my guest. It's also a completely ad hoc excuse for poor design, and it clashes with other obvious examples of fighting styles. A pole arm fighter will do less damage then a GWM because they get to: Make more reliable reaction attacks, and get bonus action attacks. But the drop in DPR between them and GWM is smaller then the gap between TWF's and GWM's. In other words, there's no good reason for TWF to be as bad as it is.

That isn't to say you can't have fun using it. you can. That isn't to say you'll die horribly if you use it. you won't..... well DM dependent I guess. But for such an iconic view of a class, it should be much better then it currently is.