1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Question Wands and Staves - Potential Mechanics for Arcane Foci

Hello there, new here, but I had an idea that needed judging/collaboration for D&D, so, here's the premise:

In my D&D World, there are two types of Arcane Foci, Wands and Staves. Ultra-Powerful Wizards can use magic with only their hands, but that is besides the point. I would like to make the players' choice of Arcane Foci important and different, for example how a Fighter might wield a stronger great-sword, and a Rogue may wield faster shortswords; A wizard may wield a stronger Staff, or a faster Wand.

Wands would be easier to conceal, but I'm thinking for a potential mechanic to make them cast spells faster, i.e. Cantrip as a bonus-action (except that's ultra-busted, and therefore just an example.) and likewise, a staff could make their spells more powerful, such as increase the level of a spell once a day or something of like (also, obviously a bit busted.)

Any ideas on how to make wand-users be your faster spell casters, and stave-users be your stronger spell casters in a mechanical sense?

All help and ideas is appreciated!
    Last edited by Zalakoth; 2017-07-26 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Punctuation Errors