I don't see the issue.

If you're using PB or Standard Array, and have a vuman fighter with GWM, you're getting exactly whatever your roll on your d20 as your to hit at 1st - 4th levels. (assuming you put a 16 in Str... and honestly, I've seen strange PBs, so that's not even guaranteed).

Sure, Archery grants you that +2, but that's still not all that competitive. When the rest of the party is +5 to hit, they'll be bringing more DPR, even if the individual hits are far smaller.

@Pex, regarding missing all attacks the 1st round, and dealing 24 the second, for an average of 12; 1) 12 might be enough to KO a critter outright, so that's leaving 12+ damage as overkill and is wasteful. 2) Knocking out a critter in round 1, instead of a string of wiffs might save the party from crowd control, aoe attacks, or similar. Afterall, the best healing is not getting damaged in the first place. As a discussion of DPR, you're correct. As a discussion as to whether a specific course of action, attack, or in this case, feat choice is optimal - you're wrong misrepresenting the argument.

Now, granted, rolling stats can get you some pretty powerful builds. But, presumably, the DM is aware of that - by offering the rolled method. I don't tend to make critters harder to hit - as expressed earlier that it's less fair, bounded accuracy exploits and all that. I do tend to pad HPs though. Give enough 1 shot minions to make the SS/GWM folk happy, but the boss should be able to take a few hits before going down. If that means he has 20-30 more HP than the book states, so be it. Every module does it, so why shouldn't I?