Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Okay, not to delve too deep into it, but whether or not something is dangerous doesn't mean it's manly. Annoying a nest full of hornets or pissing of a rabid dog is about as stupid, dangerous and pointless, and I don't see where the big difference is.
Is there skill involved? I guess? Still doesn't make it manly. It's not even like there is a point to the whole thing, except showing off. I guess if I was too include a far larger amount of "stupid" in my definition of manly I'd accept it, but as it stands..
Is there a point to sticking your hand in a nest of bullet ants? How about stitching those ants into a sleeve and sticking your hand into the sleeve? How about doing that 20 times while dancing? One of myriad manhood rituals that involve subjecting oneself to pain and danger just to prove one can.

We may think it's long past time for the concept of manliness to change, but it would be inaccurate to disregard the strong association between manliness and bravery because of that. Which includes the rites that have no purpose besides demonstrating bravery, no matter how stupid.

Besides, the issue isn't whether we think it's manly, it's whether the audience and the participants do. If they think it's manly, then they are associating pink with manliness, and Grey Wolf is using the original image correctly as an example of such associations.