View Single Post

Thread: The Far Reaches (Fantasy Travelogue)

1. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Far Reaches (Fantasy Travelogue)

23rd Bleakmoon 694 in the Cycle of the Red Sun

Once dusk fell the high pitched shrieking ,ever present through out the day, started to dies down. While we ran out of unnecessary supplies to burn around noon, the birds seemed to otherwise loose interest in the cave we were residing in. As dusk fell a strange variety of red spotted monkeys started scurrying about the cave entrance. Before we left I collected some of the scar's signature crimson red stones for further study once we reach civilized lands.
    As soon as the sun fell we raced to climb up the trail, dodging roots, and trudging through steep inclines. Kresho was struggling to keep up while maintaining the integrity of his improvised, he managed to safely ascend with us as well.

Luckily for us razor beaks do not only reside in the Scar, as dawn broke a mile from the crest, a group of 12 birds set upon us, undoubtedly on their way to the scar for a morning feast. For 4 hours Krensho, Master Verin, and I waved swords, rocks and whatever leftover supplies to shield our selves from harm. Now with a, mostly, unobstructed view, I could discern that the razor beaks were larger than falcons with elongated tail feathers, along with what seemed to be claws on the joints of their wings. Their beak seems ideal for ripping and shear muscle apart and is supported by a sturdy head with a garish crest. The Razor beaks we saw were primarily brown with crimson tail feathers and white underbellies. By midday the birds, undoubtedly bored of only inflicting superficial wounds, left us to continue our journey. Later Kresho tearfully thanked us for not abandoning him, he made sure to exclaim how few had shown him the kindness we had, it seemed rather out of character for the normally stoic Orc. But I'm thankful we have a true companion out in these parts. If fortune smiles upon us, we'll arrive at the Obsidian wall in 2 weeks.

Edit: fixing gramar
    Last edited by Lleban; 2017-08-10 at 02:53 PM.