Quote Originally Posted by D20ragon View Post
Makes sense. A zoologist would obviously write about the local fauna.
That's probably on me, really. I've studied ecology and entomology and work with plants now. I tend to think about vegetation a lot.

25 Bleakmoon, 694th in the Cycle of the Red Sun

Well, that's that question answered in a spectacular way. I asked Kresho about the living piece of "rock" I had found and he just smiled, pointed at a boulder perhaps twice my height and then threw a fist-sized rock at it.

The entire thing shuddered and then slowly rose on eight stubby legs, each wider around than my torso. I saw mouth-parts too, clicking in what I imagine was frustration. What an awesome creature.

Now that I looked, I saw similar boulders all over the area, and Kresho confirms they are everywhere between the Scar and the Ironcrest mountains. Master Verin suspects they are akin to crabs, though I have never heard of a crab twice as long as a horse and as heavy as a cart. They seem to eat plants, as each "boulder" sits at the end of a strip of bare ground where the grass has been chewed off.

We've turned west again, now, and are moving away from the scar. Kresho explains that by moving first south along the canyon, we will avoid the highest peaks of the Ironcrest so we will have to only walk over the foothills.

The monkeys are still following us.