Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
Because it makes magic items a mundanity, like a phone or a computer. How many other stories have such throwaway, indistinct magic items as DnD? I know of only one such story, and that's because it's based off a video game, and the main character is a crafter (and the other characters react, universally, in astonishment at this ability).

Magic items and abilities are supposed to be something special and rare, not some interchangeable 'bonus I need because my class doesn't provide what I need'. If you absolutely need a magic item for your class to work, it's your fault for picking an incompetent class. The mage is fine casting because it's an ability that they alone possess. A generic magic item should not exist because there is nothing special about it.
That's nice, but probably more the subject of your own thread than this one. Which has to do with 'how badly are we gonna die if we don't have wealth appropriate to our level?'. To which the answer is inevitably going to swing back to 'it depends if the DM did this on purpose or not, and how much of a jerk they might be.'