1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 11: It's Like Seeing a Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Winslow's chasis was most likely top of the line when it was introduced. It's a much different situation then May being given garbage by society.
    I think that this is mixing up the State and society.

The State punished May and then failed to give her a decent way to reintegrate.

Then May got a home because someone was generous to her, got a job because Dale found it for her, and got repairs because Fay repaired her free of charge, something for which Fay later got into trouble with her boss. Society isn't being that bad to her.

The one time society actually hurt her -- by someone refusing to give her a job as a robot -- she helped perpetuate the situation, in that she did nothing to end it. In this case, the State actually gave her the means to act against an unjust societal behaviour, and she explicitly refused to use them.

I think that part of May's characterization actually is that her behaviour is contradictory in what she expects from others and what she actually gives them, and that she will always be a **** whenever possible, unless forced to act nicely or in a situation strongly and directly benefiting her. But, of course, she explicitly doesn't want people to be ***** towards her.

Some comment about May's personality by other characters would actually have made sense, and turned the moralizing tale a bit more realistic.

EDIT: And why did May end up in jail? Because she tried to buy herself the most overblownly awesome chassis ever, a fighter jet, with someone else's money, which she stole. So, uhm, psychology?
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2017-08-20 at 07:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).