Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
Not sure if I agree with your reasoning; the main reason to go up in difficulty for me in XCOM was that the AI was unshackled to a huge degree when you got above Normal.
In comparison "Critical Hits" seems like a much cheaper way to up difficulty.

Oh I have not started yet btw; I am in an odd place trying to decide if I am to use the Character Pool or not. Part of me wants to make all these characters based on celebrities, heroes and protagonists and part of me really don't want them in my game because the idea of training up a bunch of nobodies and get attached to them because of what they do and not because her name is "Gal Gadot" or "Emma Frost" is also very very appealing.
Is not creating your own characters a fair chunk of the fun? I mean, I'm not exactly a hard-core X-Com person (I came in late to the franchise (just before the re-reboot) and I got about half-way through the proper first one before I got a bit bored with the repetativeness of chasing down enemies before the new first one came out, which I have played through once), but being able to create my team was half of the fun.

(In the very first one, where it was feasible to do so with the large squad count, I named a chunk Peon [Number] and sent them around unarmed, with the explicit point of being murdered as a form of recon. If anyone of those survivec a mission or few, they were allowed to have names and become part of the proper squad. That was fun...

Or in the reboot, of specifically having pink-Guile-haired, pink-armoured Rafale Fancyheire from the get-go to be used as a Parody Idiot with which to sacrifice at the end of the game (after participating in about two missions...))