1. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Thumbs up Re: [MTG] Enemy Color Tribal Class Block [100/280 Cards]

Quote Originally Posted by aimlessPolymath View Post
    First of all, your set mechanics:
    Sword and Shield Bearer are nice equipment-matters tools, but are slightly problematic- I suspect the equip cost is undercosted by 1. A similar mechanic in other custom sets was called arm- it was a single type of equipment (+1/+1), but had an equip cost of 2.
    Quite possible. That will require some playtesting. I believe the fact that they cost colored mana is an important balancing tool here.
    Empower seems parasitic, for similar reasons as energy. The only reason energy was allowed as a mechanic was that every card that used energy, also produced it. That said, you don't have Empower cards yet, so I'm not going to judge yet.
    Empower isn't parasitic because it still works as mana acceleration even if you're the card becoming empowered doesn't matter.
    Talented creatures: I very much like the keyword, but you're putting some pressure on it to function on its own. Devoid is not a returning mechanic because it didn't do anything- it just acted as a marker.
    Yeah, I was super into Talented too, and I still am, but I'm not sure it works quite right as a mechanic. That said, I am actually quite the fan of Devoid and other marker mechanics that don't necessarily do anything, I think of them as kin to ability words.
    Edit: Saw you were looking for a new one. Spitballing Wildshape, a fast-speed repeatable pump effect:
    Spoiler: Wildshape
    Show
    Mastodon Rider: 2G (Common)
    Wildshape 1G
    Trample
    2/2
    Flavor text: In order to understand the elephant, you must become the elephant.

Windseer: 1U (Uncommon)
    Wildshape 1U (1U: Windseer gains +2/+2 and is a Beast until end of turn. Wildshape only once per turn.)
    As long as Windseer is a Beast, it has flying.
    1/1
    Flavor text: Sometimes, all you need is a new perspective.

Vant, Floodbringer: 4U (Rare)
    Wildshape 1UU
    Islandwalk
    When Vant, Floodbringer wildshapes, target land becomes an Island until end of turn and loses all other abilities.
    3/3
    This is a very cool mechanic, but seems like it would be better as an ability word to give it more flexibility.

That said, based on Mechanical Color Pie 2017, and the current themeing of the set I'm leaning towards giving Blue-Green the Populate mechanic. (This is a blue/green mechanic despite originally appearing in Green/White Selesyna, and it also fits with the idea that there used to be white druids, but they were cast into exile when the setting went from arcs to enemy pairs. More on that flavor later.)

I do like the idea of Wildshape and think I'll use it on a few cards as a non-keyworded mechanic. (I already have an aura that does a similar thing listed above.)
    Burial: Interesting! Seems very much like Gold/Treasure tokens, but with its own twist (exiling creatures). A nice merger of black graveyard-matters and green ramp.
    I agree. I'm currently concerned about intrinsic rules behind bounty counters, and the inability to place Burial on black cards with a monoblack cost. At the same time, if bounty counters don't intrinsically mean anything the mechanic can become parasitic. Which may or may no
    Mourn I don't like in WB, but it would work in WG. Black doesn't get pure life gain without getting it from somewhere (lifelink, damaging players/creatures, or saccing creatures).
    Like Burial, Mourn is based on the idea that black let it's ally (enemy) do something in the graveyard that they like to do in general. For green this is ramp, for white, this is life gain.
    Seelie Acolyte is 3 power for 2, which is a nice rate. I'm somewhat surprised that it's a Cat Druid instead of a Faerie Druid, given the tokens it makes?
    I'm trying to aim for a diversity in race types feel to the set.
    Returned Missionary is a LOT of lifegain for only 1 mana, and will easily make aggro cry.
    I like it when Aggro cries.
    Quickblade Zealot is probably undercosted- compare to Porcelain Legionaire, but he leaves a sword behind.
    This is true. However Porcelain Legionnaire costs 1 less (because phyexian mana is broken) and is an artifact creature (which is usually upside). It'll have to be looked over in development.
    It's All Junk is very narrow equipment hate, and is an incredible sideboard card. Maybe tone it down to Naturalize?
    I'm considering toning it down to destroy, but up to all artifacts.
    Coordinator is very neat- I might change P/T a bit, though, and clarify whether or not you can choose the same mode more than once. Note that a curve of this into Goblin Throatcutter is pretty nasty! Also, the effect is definitely a rare.
    Yeah, I'm not sure how MTG would specify, but you're certainly allowed to choose the same creature as the target multiple times and use the same effect multiple times by the rules as I understood them when I wrote the card.
    The group leaders don't feel particularly interesting to me. They're good, but don't feel synergistic with their faction mechanic. They seem like weird reverse-lords, almost? Except that the tribal payoffs don't feel well connected with the faction mechanics?
    The group leaders were create before all the mechanics were hammered out. They'll need another iteration. That said, they may not interact too much with their faction mechanic, it's more important to me that they care about their class.
    Seelie Seeker needs a keyword change- Vigilance isn't in green or blue for a 2/2.
    Vigilance is secondary in green
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical Color Pie 2017
    Vigilance
    Primary: white
    Secondary: green

White tends to get this on creatures where the power is equal to or less than the toughness, and seldom with a power greater than 3. Green tends to get this ability on larger creatures to differentiate it from white.
    Tanglethorn Field has an absurdly big butt, which just gets silly with "can block any number of creatures".
    I had a hard time settling on the right number for this. It's supposed to be a 'win the game against RDW' card.
    That's all I think I'm actually doing- I have far less patience for card review/cost analysis than I thought, sorry. Skipped over a bunch.
    That's fine, I appreciated all the feedback!
    Last edited by Knitifine; 2017-09-20 at 09:21 PM.
    Professional Sorcerer Advocate.

Winner of the Base Class Contest XXXX 'Happy Little Accidents'
    Winning Entry: The Antiquarian (Artifacts, Options).
    Runner Up for Base Class Context XXXXI 'It's In Our Nature'
    Entry: The Egregore (Vermin Companion)