View Single Post

Thread: Discuss: Magic, or science?

1. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Discuss: Magic, or science?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Except if you look up what "natural" means it means... "thing that exists". If it happens, it is natural.
    Sure, and next I suppose you'll tell me "metaphysics" is just physics.

As a matter of fact, no common use definition of "natural" neatly reduces to "things which exist", nor does supernatural neatly reduce to "things which do not exist". The words only have such meaning in context of the particular philosophical argument you, Bohandas, and countless other have tried to make. (I don't remember who originated it, but it's old as dirt.)

That argument is, and has always been, obtuse, and Bohandas just happened to illustrate why by talking about "deeper sets" and "subsets". Because that's the concept which "supernatural" as a word is meant to point at. Redefining each "deeper set" as natural along the way is just engaging in moving semantic goal posts. And such semantic trickery will cease to have utility if we ever find tiniest reason to believe in reality-outside-reality, including world-as-simulation, non-interacting multiverse, world-as-a-hologram and several other theoretical scientific concepts in addition to religious and mythological ones.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2017-09-25 at 06:46 AM.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."