Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
Of course "You're an AI, that means you're more qualified" sounds a lot like "I have a black person sitting in there. You're black, so you understand her problem better, talk to her!"
Which, unless the non-black is an expert, or the black person a non-local, it is very likely to be true. The seminal example for black US citizens is "The Talk". It is hard to grok for any non-US black what The Talk is. And that is the one I know about. I am sure there are other shared contexts that I haven't even heard of that would also be needed to be fully understood and internalised to even have a chance of helping.

Leaving the dangerous waters of modern US racial issues, Freefall has a similar group for AIs led by a non-AI who has a phD in a relevant field, and has been doing a lot of work on the issue. And even he struggles occasionally to understand concepts that come naturally to an AI on her first meeting. This is similar: lacking the regular therapist, the human is at least aware of his limitations enough to know that any AI will do a better job than he can.

Which is not to say that it's not a crappy situation all around. That said, given the general tone of the comic, I'd imagine that other than providing for a few punchlines, I'd expect the group to embrace Winston in short order. I.e. the vibe I'm getting is similar to the Ugly Duckling bar from Tangled. Bad guys, yes, but with Dreams.

Grey Wolf