Quote Originally Posted by Scripten View Post
Yes, the players should ALWAYS have complete control over their characters' attempted actions. Nobody ever said anything about them automatically succeeding....

To play out Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight type temptation scenerio's, the Pendragon RPG has "roll playing" of personality traits, to see if your PK (player Knight) is overcome with anger, mercy, lust, etc., so yes the player may temporarily lose control of their PC, I think [I]Legend of the Five Rings has similar mechanics, and I've played D&D that's had PC's being effected by enchantments.

I'm not sure but I think that Apocalypse World and FATE have mechanics that involve players other than the GM in "worldbuilding".

But in general I like Players controlling the action attempts of the PC's and GM's narrating the results,

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
...I've seen three basic interaction types in RPGs.

Type 1:

GM: "This is the situation"
Player: "Okay, I do this thing."
GM: "This is the new situation."

Type 2:

Player 1: "I move my character in accordance with the rules"
Player 2: "I move my character in accordance with the rules"
Player 3: "I move my character in accordance with the rules"

Type 3:

Player 1: "This happens"
Player 2: "Then this happens"
Player 3: "And then this happens"

Few games are strictly one type, and many switch types based on what's going on at a given time.

They are all, I think, roleplaying, at least so long as each player nominally has control of a (or even a few, think Ars Magica) primary characters.

...so kyoryu's Type One is my general preference, but I've had fun playing Two and Three as well.