Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
My issue with fantasy racism is not that it has any resemblance to any real world racism.

Its that racism is fantasy is portrayed as anything positive at all, regardless of the situation. racism is just plain wrong on principle, and portraying it as a thing necessary to fight evil in a fantasy is just disgusting to me. I'm not saying you can't have racism in your setting, but racism as anything positive or necessary is just plain wrong, full stop. thats what results from races that are "Always chaotic evil", and this is from somebody who loves action and fighting! I don't mind killing mooks, but the weird racial component that people insist DnD and fantasy take on it is baffling and stupid.
It also gives you some interesting possibilities, especially if you have a good grasp of history.

For example, most raiding cultures in real life developed for reasons, and those reasons usually weren't "we like it." This is why you see a lot of raiding cultures develop from marginal land - lacking natural resources of their own, such cultures tend to turn to taking the resources of others. Not that that's the only reason, but raiding generally means that there's something to be gained of value by raiding that outweighs the costs and risks.