Quote Originally Posted by Easy_Lee View Post
Invisibility shouldn't grant advantage on stealth. It should inflict disadvantage on perception checks to detect the invisible creature, same as obscurement does.

I'm trying to keep DMs honest. If you give your players disadvantage to detect hidden or obscured enemies, then you need to give enemies disadvantage to detect your invisible players.

If you don't give anyone disadvantage to detect an obscured creature, then what you're saying is that all perception checks rely purely on sound and sight has no impact. In that case, creatures hiding in the area of effect of the Silence spell ought to succeed automatically (meaning attempts to detect them automatically fail).

But if you say no, the creature would have to be invisible too, then you have a conundrum. What you're saying is that both sight and sound are equally effective at detecting a hiding enemy, and they neither rely on nor enhance one another. So if I'm blind or deaf, it does not affect my perception at all unless I'm both at once.

And that's ludicrous.
Being invisible doesn't totally remove the sight component from searching though. You can't see the person, but you can still see all the signs of their passing, like footprints or disturbed plants.