Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
Its already a strong feat.

Saving 3 damage from each incoming B, P and S attack is pretty huge.

Over the course of your [6 encounter/ 2 short rest] adventuring day, thats a ton of saved HP. Its more than you get from the Tough feat that grants +2 HP/ level.

Tough at 10th level is what... 20 extra HP? HAM at the same level will save you over 60 HP over the course of your standard adventuring day, presuming you get hit around 20 times in 6 encounters (3 attacks hit you per encounter).

Dont forget HAM also grants +1 to Strength as well.
this probably does a better job of expressing it than i did. all you need is to get hit 7 times in a day, and it is already more valuable than tough with just half the feat being counted.

but seriously, this gets greatly enhanced when your DM appropriately includes not just CR 15 monsters at level 15 as solo encounters, but also CR 1-3 creatures, and yes, even CR 1/8 or 1/4 creatures, to supplement. play around with the kobold fight club encounter generator sometime, just generate some random encounters;

some sample random medium encounters for a party of 4 level 10 characters:

5 giant hyenas and a chuul.
3 shadow mastiff alphas, 2 vampiric ixitxachitl, and a yeti.
1 couatl and 5 guardian portraits.
1 flameskull and 2 giant ice toads.

not that these really make sensible encounters (i'm sure there are some hypothetical reasons why those things might be in those groups, but it would be fairly unlikely to encounter that on a regular basis), but just to show that yeah, the PCs are level 10... but that doesn't mean every time you want a medium encounter, you only consider stuff between CR 8 and CR 11 and put one of them in there. with 5 giant hyenas in the mix, i wouldn't be surprised if you got more than 6 hits on you in that single fight if you're up front tanking, meaning the feat would already have paid for itself.