1. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q275: several clarifications on grapple:
    a) When you would get an attack of opportunity, can you use it to start a grapple attempt? If you can, do your opponent get an attack of opportunity against you? If you use that technique to interrupt a spell, what happens to the spell? Automatically failed because the caster cannot finish casting while grappling? Not failed (if successful concentration check) because the grapple takes place after the spell is complete?
    b) When you are using one of your multiple attacks per round to initiate a grapple, do you get the penalty on the hold check too? As a monk, can I use flurry of blows to make an extra grapple attempt?
    c) When moving into the opponent space, do I provoke an attack of opportunity even if the movement is a 5-foot step? Do I provoke the attack if I have improved grapple? If I use acrobacy or spring attack?
    d) Do monks lose their WIS bonus to AC when grappled? Can rogues and monks use (improved) evasion while grappling?
    e) If someone from outside attacks a grappling character, are there any other effect besides the loss of DEX to AC? Shouldn't all participants in the grapple get cover anyway? I remember reading somewhere that attacking a grappled character carries a 1 in 4 chance of hitting another character in the grapple, but I can't find the rule anymore. Was it an old rule that got changed later or I just imagined things?
    f) If I choose to try to damage my opponent with an opposed grapple check (the "damage your opponent" option) does that count as a single attack or as a standard action? Can I use that option to deal damage more than once per round? Can I use flurry of blows to use that option more?
    g) is trying to pin an opponent equivalent to an action or to an attack?
    All the manualo says is "Some of these actions take the place of an attack (rather than being a standard action or a move action)" but it's not very clear which are which.
    Last edited by King of Nowhere; 2017-10-23 at 08:59 AM.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert