Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
The game just kinda loves throwing you into situations where you're punished for not re-loading with future knowledge of the events in general. It's really not that different from having to re-load because you accidentally wandered into a high level fight with no warning and got destroyed...or accidentally made an important NPC hostile with some innocuous line of dialogue.

That's the problem with making a game "old school" or whatever. A lot of these types of design decisions were phased out of games for good reason. Sure, it's technically more difficult, but it's not the satisfying kind of difficulty.
Having areas that outlevel you is a huge dividing issue. Some people love level scaling and others feel it's awful. Personally I like a static world with various difficulties based on area. I like feeling that I can just plow through some content if I outlevel it, whereas I can get crushed (or have a very challenging fight) if I go somewhere ahead of where I'm supposed to. Like running down to the Enclave area in Fallout 2 and getting some Power armor to crush the early game with, if you manage to sneak your way through and not get gibbed by the Enclave you're stealing from.