1. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How does the Minovsky Effect make long-range dumbfire weapons useless?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post

I mean, late in the original series, it's worked out how to do remote, indirect-fire drones again by using telepathy as a communications medium (some people are telepathic because Space). There's not actually any reason to not put this system on a battleship, as doing so would afford significantly more protection to the most limited resource in this weapons system (psychic people), people just don't, because all the expectations and strategies have moved to mobile suit-based combat at that point due to the escalating arms race. (There are a few battleship or battleship-sized chassis for psychic remote weapons in other series, but they're fairly distant sequels or spinoffs that use the same setting assumptions - the most immediate development of this technology is attaching it to bigger mobile suits, for some reason).
    To be fair:
    1) Some mobile armors equipped with psycom are the size of battleships (if not spaceborne ones, surface ones). The older psycom are massive, simply because the computing is very primitive. Later developments miniaturize it, and then the psychoframe was developed, which took up hardly any space at all, allowing mobile suits with funnels to be made.
    2) The federation is suppressing the technology to hide newtypes in order to maintain their rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Mecha View Post
    If I recall correctly, most beam weaponry in Gundam fires plasma, although I think this differs depending on the series. Supposedly, the reason that Federation beam weapons are pink and Zeon beam weapons are yellow is because they use different elements as ammunition. Plasma quickly dissipates because the charged particles repel each other. (I think this is technically called 'blooming'.) This means that the range of a beam weapon is limited before penetrating power turns to stopping power and then eventually turns to nothing. Think of a weapon that is like a sniper rifle at close range, but a shotgun at long range.

Mobile suits with beam weapons need to get in close enough to where their weapons' ranges are effective. (Solid projectiles don't have this problem, but they lack the punch that beam weapons have.) MS are also quite nimble in space. But at effective range, it usually doesn't take long for an enemy mobile suit to close the distance and surprise an enemy. Hence, the reason that melee combat is so common.
    The weapons fire Minovsky particles. Minvosky particles can be negatively or positively charged, and the beams have been shown to be coherent for very long ranges. I'm guessing blooming is a relatively small issue, as the beam will both repel and attract itself.

EDIT: Actually, apparently Minovsky particles are "degenerated" by fusing a + and - to make a neutral particle, kind of like how Neutrons are really electrons and protons in a trench coat.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2017-10-31 at 04:14 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.